Authorship

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Meowable Song of the Day: "The Ditty" by Paperboy

I firmly believe that 1992 was the best year for hip-hop and rap music ever. First of all you had Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Baby Got Back" representing the Northwest sound, then Gansta Rap breaks through with Dr. Dre's "The Chronic," Arrested Development brings the urban conscious hip-hop to the masses with "Mr. Wendel," and finally, we have this single released by Paperboy.

The Ditty.

One the Wonderful World of Clutter Meowable Song Scale it ranks a 10 for the samples. As for the lyrics...well that is a completely uncharted territory.

Paperboy is a skilled rapper with a very quick lyrical flow, however, I have no idea what he is saying in many instances. Looking at the various lyric sites on the internet, it seems many other are in similar standing to me. Often the transcribed lyrics included bracketed "unverified lyric" or "unknown word" in their words. In one instance a site mistranslated the word prophylactic to a more creative t noun phrase "purple lactic." I am not entirely certain what this is or what is a "purple lactic" would be, but I don't think I would like to meet one, a la Ogden Nash.  Mistranslations aside, as far as I can tell, the lyrics of the song include many references to breakfast foods, and safe sex with prostitutes. Well, whatever works.

I once tried to perform this song at a karaoke bar against better judgement. I have a long standing belief that white people should not attempt to rap at karaoke bars; the same rule should be applied to half-Japanese-half-Irish individuals such as myself because the end result is a tragic mess of slurred words, mumbled awkwardness, and microphone pauses in a bar filled with strangers jeering at bad performers.

So sit back and bob your head to The Ditty

No comments:

Post a Comment