Authorship

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Buckman's Cathedral

The Buckman neighborhood in southeast Portland, Oregon,  has a long rich history.   Over the decades, four churches have held this property. Windstorms and structural failures led to the first three being razed.  As far as I can tell, the image below is of the third church to stand on this property. Now a small wooden structure now holds the congregation. For a great overview of the history of the St. Francis Parish, go the the church's website.

And yes, this is a pretty boring post for the Wonderful World of Clutter, but this image of the church has me fascinated. Growing up in Portland, I spent just about as much time in Buckman as my residence in the Brooklyn neighborhood. When I found this postcard in a junk shop in Montana, I was extremely surprised. 






The church property is considerably less grand than this picture presents. The parish hosts a soup kitchen serving countless individuals in need. Some might consider the homeless population a blight in an up-and-coming neighborhood, but I always appreciated their presence.




No comments:

Post a Comment